Recent Stories
Maintaining Your Current  Professional License After PCS’ing

The Defense Department supports the well-being and economic security of our military community and taking care of our people remains a priority. There is a means to take care of military spouses who desire to keep their already earned licensures up to date through the Spouse Relicensing Reimbursement Program. The Defense Department recognizes the importance of professional licenses of military spouses and supports the transfer of licenses when making a military move. The Marine Corps actively participates in these relicensing payments. The Family Member Employment Assistance Program, also known as FMEAP, is the central point of contact for the Spouse Relicensing Reimbursement Program. Authorized under the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the program provides reimbursement of up to $1,000 for relicensing/recertification expenses incurred by a spouse due to a permanent change of station (PCS) to a new state, to include OCONUS to stateside moves.  

  • Who’s eligible? Military spouses of Marines of any rank who moved across state lines due to a PCS under accompanied orders, and who wish to pursue the same licensure or certification in their new location. 

  • What can get reimbursed? The Marine Corps defines “qualified relicensing/recertification costs” as any required exam costs or registration fees set by the new state, so the spouse can continue working in their current profession. You can receive up to $1,000 in reimbursement per move. 

  • What documents do you need?   

  • Copy of PCS orders 

  • Copy of spouse’s previous state license or certification that was valid at the previous station 

  • Copy of new state license or certification 

  • A receipt showing the fees paid in the new state 

  • What is the reimbursement process? You can apply for reimbursement after getting your new license or certification. Bring the documentation to your local on-base Personnel Administration Office or Center, who will start the process for you. 

Where can I learn more about the Marine Corps’ reimbursement policy? Read the Marine Corps announcement about the policy along with a more detailed process.  

Reach out to your local installation FMEAP Coordinator for more information about Licensing Support. 



Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Outdated Browser